Monday 17th Delta cruise, Damn massage and Dinner
Delights
And a good sleep it was, disturbed only by the occasional
river boat with faulty silencer, then a cacophony of church campanology (bell
ringing) and the consequent roosters reveille just before 5. I woke up and
blogged yesterday’s events until breakfast. The cruise lady turned up and we
booked to join the morning cruise, which already had a Spanish and a German
Swiss couple. We cast off at 8 and headed off excitedly in our ancient wooden
boat.
First stop was at a brickworks where we watched locals
manhandling about 8 bricks at a time, tossing them in a loose stack to the next
person, who caught them and passed on until the last person inside the big kiln
(diameter 8 metres and stack height about 2m) dropped them in place. The walls
tapered to a beehive shape a couple of metres higher up. The loading process is
delayed until the calendar predicts a Lucky Day and then takes 5 days, 12 or so
hours a day.
We moved on to another kiln that burns for 14 days, needing
to be constantly topped up with rice husks and for the burned bits to be raked
out every 15 minutes. A woman sits there for 12 hour shifts with a hammock on
standby – how much temptation would that be? Then somebody else takes over.
The bricks are left for 5 days to cool down and then
unloading takes 5 more days. We later saw how the clay is mixed and then
extruded through a machine which can mould the bricks with 4 ventillation holes
running through them if required. They
emerge in a strip and a specialised worker cuts them with a multiple wired
device like an egg cutter. The base workers get $10 a day (for a 10 hour day),
which isn’t bad for a 3rd world economy.
I was repeatedly accosted by a 4 year old who first had a
lunge at my (orange) watch and then grabbed at the wrist bands on the other arm
and tried to stretch them over the fist that I was mentally struggling not to
punch him with.
An interesting glimpse into the lives of average working
people.
Next stop was for fruit tasting (pleasant) and cultural singing
(acquired taste). Janine wanted a bag of dried sweet potato.
Next a coconut processing
workshop. 2 topless young fellows gleamed with sweat as they gripped a
ferociously sharp 6” knife between their legs (just look at the pictures ok)
and with about 6 stabs cut the husk off in one piece. They then tossed the
husks onto a pile and moved on to the next coconut. One of them paused to
demonstrate how they then halved the nut and cut the fruit out of the shell
with a curved knife. A woman was sitting there whittling the brown layer off
and leaving the white meat. All the offcuts from each of those steps are kept
and used for coir mats, carving
souvenirs if intact other wise fuel, and
feeding ducks.
We also saw coconut lollies/toffee being made and took the
opportunity to buy a classic Vietnamese hat. From there we were transferred in
the back of a motorised tricycle that barely fitted the 7 of us.
Lunch began with each couple being presented with a grilled
Elephant Ear fish, which a girl demonstrated being filleted and then folded into rice paper with
cucumber lettuce and pineapple strips and noodles, which we ate with delicious
tamarind sauce.
We got to roll the rest ourselves and were sitting quite full and content until they returned with pancakes stuffed with vegetables and salad. Soon after, they were back with bits of grilled pork and rice with a pepper sauce.
We got to roll the rest ourselves and were sitting quite full and content until they returned with pancakes stuffed with vegetables and salad. Soon after, they were back with bits of grilled pork and rice with a pepper sauce.
Next, it was into canoes for a 15 minute paddle through
narrow back ”street” canals to the original boat which was waiting to take us back
from a different direction to the hotel after a varied and interesting 5 hour
outing.
After some emailing and stuff I decided to go for a massage
– J wasn’t interested. This entailed crossing the other bridge to the West of
us and a 1km walk, periodically miming to the bemused locals – “I am looking
for the blind people who give massages”. This usually worked well and I was
guided along the street and then back a bit after I failed to recognise the
place.
(skip to *End Massage* if this is boring you)
Apparently the Norwegian Gubment finances it to provide sheltered employment for blind
people. I was sent into a room and had got down to my jocks when a blind man
came in. Hmm ok no problem with that, although I did pause to remember the
Seinfeld scene with George being traumatised by a similar event. I was
signalled to start on my back, which is unusual and the masseur launched into a
somewhat clumsy scalp and facial treatment. I do not like having my hair
ruffled and I Hate having it pulled. Then he fumbled at my neck in a manner which
was altogether far more like chiropractic than I wanted him (or anyone else) to
attempt.
He then moved on to my upper arm and started punching me in
the bicep. After a few of these, I tried to tell him that this was not the sort
of therapy that I wanted, but he didn’t stop so I took him by the arm, which he
ignored, and eventually punched him back a few times to facilitate his
understanding of my concerns. He then moved down to my feet (out of punching
range) and clumsily rearranged my toes then pinched my shins a few times,
moving up to my quads, which he pummelled up and down with both hands. What
with him being blind and everything this was fraught with all manner of
dangers.
So I rolled over and presented him with less vulnerable
targets. He started again at the head, repeating his earlier ministrations and
then commenced thumping away at my back. I have completed 3 courses in Swedish
and Sports massage and I do appreciate the role of tapotement (pummelling,
cupping, etc) in professional massage but this was weird. For the next half
hour he proceeded to range up and down my back, pummelling away with cupped
hands, hammer fists and knife hands. No stroking, pressing,kneading etc.
The only defence against this assault was to flex my muscles
so that he bounced off. He spared my kidneys but did bash away behind my knees
(a no-go area) and the soles of the feet, which are beaten only by secret
police agencies rather than by professional masseurs.
I should mention that another Asian man had come in later
and was being similarly pummelled by a woman, who was not obviously blind.
Having said that, she also got up on top of him and surfed his back, as well as
the more usual forms of stroking, pushing and squeezing.
Eventually mine just stopped and left. (Janine is sooooo very glad she did not go)
*End Massage*
We found our way to the ice creamery (3D’s) tucked away in
the back roads, which entailed avoiding several small but irate dogs. We were
very happy to find a friendly young girl who spoke very good English, and even
happier to find $1 mango smoothies. Yes!!!
They serve very nice snack foods also and seem to be a favourite with
local teenagers. We returned via the
restaurant where we had the crunchy Lotus root salad again (very delicious) and
set to planning the next stage of our Vietnam holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment