Mon 3 March 2014
Exploring today. Our
first task was to find which of the train lines is the subway. After a false start we were pointed in the
right direction. The very smiley booth station guy assisted with ticket
machines.
We successfully got to Osaka-jo (Osaka Castle)and had a look
about the grounds. Saw about 3 cherry
trees in blossom. It appears it is too
early in the season still. I paid the $6 to enter the main keep. An elevator whisks you up to the top and the impressive views over Osaka. Good displays on each level. Took about an hour and as I exited, I had a sudden feeling of dread. 'Would Chris still be there waiting for me this time?' I was so pleased to see him there.
These are cherry trees in front of the castle - alas no blossom yet
These kids were just too cute. Holding hands in 3's then holding either side of handrail as they went up the steps.
Octopus Stone - 130 tonne - The largest stone in the walls.
We then began walking back towards Umeda (Centre of city). Found a place for lunch and the lovely girl
gave us directions and sent us on our way with much bowing.
We got so far were freezing to death, there is nothing
overly brilliant to see so we searched for a subway. Went down one – didn’t look right – Chris
asked a lady and this, our 2nd guardian angel, then took us out of this station
over the river and into another station.
Helped us buy tickets took us to the train platform – said platform 2
and she waved us goodbye and disappeared.
Very helpful and friendly these people in Osaka.
We visited an extra large shopping centre on the way home.
Stocked up with yet more sushi and quite by chance wandered off upstairs. Just
as well – they were clearing winter clothing at ridiculous prices and we bought
2 new jackets; $30 for a shiny black coat with fur and $20 for a down jacket
(67% off). Very happy with that (and
warm).
I am always amused by toilets during our travels. I visited the train station today and it
appeared pretty normal until I sat on the seat and it was luxuriously warm. What a treat.
It also had a panel of controls to wash your nether regions from all
directions at whatever temperature and you could do all that to musical accompaniment
if desired. Love Japan.
While we have accommodation booked for the Japan leg of this
trip we have to finalise our transport arrangements between the major cities. So on to the homework.
No comments:
Post a Comment